Monday, December 7, 2009

Prelude to My Favorite Days of the Year

I call this a prelude for two reasons: one because this is simply an introduction to what I call the best days of the year because just one post wouldn't be enough to describe my feelings and two because I feel with my favorite days comes certain advantages that I hope to achieve on my day off. I think I hinted at it a bit for you there and if you don't know it yet, I'll tell you now that without question my favorite days of the year are Snow Days. Why? Well I think the better question is why not? Snow Days are always welcomed in my world and hold several advantages that I hope you'll be able to see.

The first advantage is this: Snow Days can mess up a teachers planned events so that they become discombobulated (spelling?) and unaware of what they should do and this often works out to the students advantage because they push back quizzes, tests, and homework assignments. The day off screws up their teaching schedule and they know that kids don't spend their day studying for a test when they'll simply give the excuse that they "didn't know we still had it today." Lately I've been hearing alot of talks from each of my teachers on their policies with Snow Days so they're getting better at it but chances are if you get the entire class to go along with a sob story that you didn't know and therefore aren't prepared you can get things put off and make less work for yourself.

The second advantage is this: You get to sleep in! If your schedule is anything like mine your probably up until ungodly hours of the night doing homework or busy with some type of practice or game. Having such a busy schedule, it is easy to get behind in class work and more importantly, you rack up a lot of sleep debt. I know that in my case I usually get 5-7 hours of sleep each night which is quite inadequate considering the recommended amount is 8-10 hours. With Snow Days you usually can anticipate when they're going to happen and therefore shut off your alarm the night before. I have my mother wake me up only if there's an offchance we have school at regular time. Even if we have a two hour delay, I give myself two extra hours of sleep. Why not take advantage? It's good to catch up on some ZZZZZ's.

The third advantage is this: You get to hang with neighbors. Some people are less fortunate than I and aren't surrounded by children in their neighborhood and instead by elderly couples who don't like loud music. Sucks for you guys. Me, I'm surrounded by some pretty cool kids that definitely know how to kick it. On Snow Days we all get together and have snow ball fights, ride my four wheelers, sled, and just have a good time being kids. Sometimes it's fun to act like a little kid; sticking out your tongue and catching snow flakes. I love the image of falling snow, it's something quite breath taking.

The fourth and final advantage is this: You get to do all the homework you didn't do PLUS work ahead. I know it may sound nerdy to work on school work when there's no school but it's gotta get done sometime and if you're snowed in it's best to do something with your day a little more productive then strictly sleeping.

I've stated several reasons why I love Snow Days and I'm sure if there were more time in my day I could give you several more. Snow Days are a good break in the week for me and help lighten the fact that I'm still in school until Summer. They give me a reason to like the crazy driving conditions, the hectic shoppers I experience at work, and the somewhat too cheerful relatives that can't get enough of the Holiday spirit. A Snow Day a week=A Happy Kiona!:)

For tips on how to have a real snow ball fight on your Snow Day; visit:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WqYu-Q-tHG4

No comments:

Post a Comment