Friday, January 22, 2010

All Fessed Up

Last night, while at my less than boring and horrible job at OfficeMax, I became somewhat inspired by a fellow colleague of mine. I've told you before how much I thoroughlly hate working at Office Max because of a certain fellow co-worker and unfortunate manager of mine, Mike. Mike is what you call a grade A lazy shit. I don't mean in any way to offend any other people who eat fast food every day, do nothing at their jobs, and go home to play video games all night, but I do mean to offend him. Mike gets away with what he does every day because he is the weakest link. It's seen this way in every other co-workers eyes, especially the other managers and I'm surprised nothing has been done about it. At least until now. I know that Mike doesn't ever do his job or meets his expectations to the bare minimum. Why? Because he doesn't give a flying fu** about anything other than himself. It's ridiculous how self-centered one human can be and it amazes me to know that he is currently engaged to a woman four years older than him. Something has certainly gotta be wrong with her if you could fall for a man like that. Mike has always put me on the edge. I hate working around him, being around him, and knowing that when he's there he's the boss of me. It kills me to say that I have to be courteous and polite to him, most of which I absolutely loathe and in most cases attempt to avoid him every chance I get. I guess you could say I've developed somewhat of a dislike of him, okay I literally hate him. I know I'm not the only one that feels this way as Jenna does too, but as for the other co-workers well nothing has really been mentioned. I guess I'm missing the whole point of my story and simply rambling my frustrations so I'll proceed to tell you what has been done and what I hope will become of the current predicament.

Last night, while at work, I heard my manager Rob cussing. It's not unusual for him he has alot of seizures in his arm and gets bad headaches so I didn't think it had to do with work until he mentioned Mike's name amist all the vulgar language. I stepped into the office, curious to find what the ruckus was about, and hopefully join in some trash talking of Mike. I asked Rob what had happened and he told me that Mike didn't shoot the sorry tags like he was supposed to. Instead of shooting the aisles only if he couldn't find quantities of items, he shot all sorry tags regardless. This made a big issue for Rob because he had to go back, find the quantities, bring the items up, place them where they're supposed to, and THEN shoot sorry tags. A job that was supposed to have been done hours ago and now was going to take him a couple hours to get done with among all the other dutiful tasks a manager must accomplish in a five hour shift. I felt bad and offered to help and he said that it was okay, he was used to it. It really got me thinking about how much of a lazy person Mike is and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I told Rob about my Saturday night at work and how Mike had sat there in the front of the store literally five feet away from me and made Jenna who was clear in the back come up to take the register for one minute while I used the restroom. Rob said he wasn't surprised and I just told him I dind't know what to do anymore. It upset me not only that I had to deal with this but that I couldn't do anything about it. Just then, I noticed Rob writing something down and when he finished he told me to read it aloud to him so he could see how it sounded. It was awesome. Basically, it was a letter to our store manager, Dan about Mike not shooting the sorry tags and a reminder of a phrase Mike always says whenever he thinks he's so cool and sells MaxAssurances and it is this:

"Just doing it the Murray Way!"

Everyone gets super annoyed when he says this and I just get pissed off and stop listening but Rob hears it too often and decided to quote that in his letter then wrote some more vulgar language and ended it with SOMETHING must be done! It felt good reading it aloud and hearing my complaints basically being put into words whether or not I had written them. Rob told me I should also write a letter if my issues had kept persisting, then I needed to at least give out a complaint. So, I sat down and wrote another letter to Dan. It felt so good every line made me think more and more and I fueled so many good ideas it took a couple pages. But when it was finished, it was pure genius. I'll give you a little summary..Basically I just stated what has all been wrong everytime I've worked with Mike, how lazy he is, how unprofessional he is, and how he hurts all of us as a team when he doesn't work. I also concluded by saying that the Murray way really meant a lazy way and that I for one didn't know how much more I could take. While I fibbed to Dan a little that my job did mean alot to me and I would hate to see myself leave, I also told him that if things kept going the way they were then they just might have to find a new cashier who can learn to put up with what I have. I just hope something can be done about the way I feel and hopefully the next time I walk in there Mike will be walking out with his fast food and a box of personal belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment