Monday, January 11, 2010

Disgusting Dentist

My teeth feel like glue, covered in paste, masked with disgusting smelling nasty mixture of chemicals. It's the sickest thing on Earth and it's given to me by some of the most hated people in the world, well at least for kids. I'm talking about the flouride put on my teeth at my dentist appt today.

We've all been to the dentist numerous times in our life. For me, it's every 6 months and I dread it the moment I walk in. Don't get me wrong, I have an awesome dentist who is really nice and sweet and is always careful. It's just a matter of hating her job, picking at my teeeth with a pointy scalpel and other weird tools that seem to tear my mouth apart. Least to say, I despise my visits there which usually last around a half hour. I'd say I'm a moderate teeth brusher, I faithfully do it every night but sometimes forget about it in the morning rush. I rarely floss, I just think it's too uncomfortable. I've had a couple cavitites over the years, but nothing too serious. Today in particular, I was sitting in the waiting room. Sometimes that's the worst part: the wait. Sitting around looking at either the rather boring magazines or the children's books. Today was quick, I waited for less than two minutes. I don't mean to brag or anything but my family is well liked at the dentists office my sisters drawings are hung up all over the place so I usually don't have to wait around. While I like all the nurses or dental assistants if that's what you call them, I hate their job most. Today, I got X-Rays by biting down on pieces of straight up and down cardboard stuck vertically in my horizontal mouth. In case you couldn't figure it out it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. This nurse, Molly, with whom I usually have my visits with is always super nice but she keeps her T.V. on boring channels like the news or some cooking shows, BORING. Next, she proceeds to scrape the remaining plaque off of my teeth, with what feels like a super sharp toothpick and the screeching alone on my teeth could probably put me over the edge all on its own. Then, she puts this nasty gritty paste on each of my teeth, front and back and does a quite poor job of cleaning off the excess stuff with little water and what I call the breath sucker because all it does is dry out your mouth. The last part of the appointment used to be the most dreadful, and now it is just beyond gross. I don't know if you've ever tried this stuff raw but my suggestion is not to. Flouride is probably one of the foulest tasting substances that has ever touched my mouth. They used to put it in a tray and make you bite down and let the goo soak in all over your teeth for several minutes. Then once they take it off they pretend to remove the excess stuff but instead just spray it with water and air and make your mouth the dry desert again only this time it tastes gross. My dentist, however, switched over to a newer technique of using this pasty almost glue like substance that she "paints" on my teeth. Not only does it form a layer over my teeth, like gross plaque I feel like scrubbing off, but it scrapes off in layers too. The only advantage to this is that your able to eat and drink right away after, the bad part is you'll be swallowing chunks of it all night. Good luck keeping that down. I'd say on average, I throw up at least twice from that stuff. Okay, maybe not literally due to my phobia of puking but I do despise, actually loathe, wearing that stuff on my teeth for the remainder of the day. The best part is coming home, cracking open my new toothbrush and toothpaste, and scrubbing that sh** off. Nasty.

For me though, my dentist appt usually isn't a one time thing. I'll admit that I brush my teeth like every other human, sometimes forgetting or just lack of energy causes me to get some cavities. Like today, for example, I had another cavity they had to fill. I got a new appt the next day and I get out of school even more. The best thing about the dentist is scheduling my appointments during school. It's a good break every six months or so, and that is pretty much the only benefit to the dentist. That and the fact that my dentist has this really awesome box of prizes for kids who behave well at their dentist appointments. So what I'm sixteen years old and still like getting tie-dye bouncy balls or smiley face yo-yos? Don't judge. They make me feel so much better about the experience, like a young kid again, but at the same time different because my mom's not by my side. I guess I miss the days when I couldn't drive there because my mom would always take me and even though I acted embarrassed I loved when she came in the room and held my hand even last year. Whenever I felt a pinch or anything, I could simply grab her hand and everything would be okay. Which has led me to this realization: I hate going to the dentist, now more then ever, because it hurts and it sucks without her. I'd rather go through the pain of it with her at the bedside if I have to go through the pain. It may sound childish, but she comforted me in those times and made me feel good even somewhat happy about going to the dentist. But now I'm rambling and for lack of a better word, I'd just like to say YUCK. I dislike the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment