Thursday, February 4, 2010

Academics

Last term was one of the worst in my high school career. I did way below my average and as a result, suffered at home too. I've always been an extraordinary student going the extra mile to get the extra points and get the higher percentage grade. It's always been that way, ever since I was in elementary. As a result also, my parents have learned to put me on a higher pedestal as I'd like to call it, always challenging me to do even better, something I've never had an issue with. I've always heard that Junior year is the toughest and I was okay with that because it's what colleges look at most. Being in three AP courses along with three other challenging courses, I knew well before the school year started that this was not going to be easy but I also wasn't prepared for how hard I'd have to work but now, I know. It just took me the first term to realize how hard I must work. One of my biggest issues was my lack of time. I never had time during fall term because I had work, basketball cheerleading, Iowa Elite cheerleading, and volunteering at the hospital. It was way too much for me to come home at 11 at night on the weekdays and try to stay up and do homework, get to bed at 1, and then wake up the next day to do it all over again. So, I had to give up some things, most of those things being homework. Another big issue was my priorities weren't straight. I put my boyfriend first, friends and family second, cheerleading third, and school somewhere lower than that. I didn't do my schoolwork because I didn't care and I thought I could breeze by as I had in the past and been okay. But being in three college courses proved to be much more than that. Now that I've got a better hold on my life, eliminated the boyfriend, and managed my time more my grades have extremely improved. Last term, I got a 3.5 and this term, nearly one month left, I have a 4.43, that's the highest I have ever gotten in my high school career plus it's in one of the toughest semesters of the toughest year of high school. Least to say, I'm very pleased with myself because I've really learned alot about myself and my study habits and I guess I've realized that if I can prioritize, do my studies first, and let other things not distract me during homework then I can truly be successful. I guess I've realized, through all of the hardships I've faced, that:

"Success doesn't come to you...you must go for it."

--Marva Collins

That's what I've realized. That I've had my life handed to me on a golden platter and that I've frankly, breezed through school. I haven't pushed myself since first term freshman year when I thought high school wasn't as bad as it was hyped up to be. But I've also realized that if I don't make good study habits for myself now then I won't be as successful later in life and also I won't be able to make it through college. By preparing myself and challenging myselfn now, I'll make it easier by being used to tough work. Good strategy right? Here's my study tips:

1) Don't allow distractions-shut off your cell phone!!
2) Listen to calming music without lyrics (with lyrics will only make you want to sing along)
3) Take a break every hour or so
4) Create acronyms and catchy songs having to do with your material
5) Drink plenty of water- but not too close to your homework or you'll spill
6) Sit somewhere elevated and nowhere in your bedroom (will only make you tired)
7) Eat before and snack during
8) Review to yourself after you're done

No comments:

Post a Comment