Sunday, October 25, 2009

In Preparation

So, this weekend we have a cheerleading competition: AGAIN. I know, I know, they're becoming back to back but after this one we don't have one til December 5th I do believe and I'm pretty pumped about the little break because lately practices have been up the wall hard! We've had to do like a million run throughs and tons of conditioning at each. Run throughs, by the way, are like competing five times in a row. You do everything in the routine full out: jumps, stunts, tumbling, cheer, and dance and its all to your routine music only you don't have your uniform on or your hair done. And, you have to do it repetitively. It's quite the work out if I do say so myself and that is why I generally wear shorts and t shirts to practice. I'm bringing this up because it's getting close to Winter and its been pretty chilly and I've been parading around in shorts. Why? Because they'r e comfy, they're easy to put on, and they allow my legs some breathing room as opposed to tight jeans. I have generally warm blood I think too, because I find myself always chilling out in shorts whether it be rain or shine. Anyways, this competition this week is specifically for Iowa Elite to show case our what I call, greatness! This competition is hosted by us at Jefferson High School and it's called "Battle for the Behemoth." Sounds pretty ancient right? It's this awesome, crazy competition we have and grand champs get a 6 FOOT TROPHY! It's massive and last year we didn't even get to take it home, our competitors Iowa All Stars did. This year, it's time to show 'em whose boss. All seven of our Iowa Elite teams are competing and there will be plenty of competition there. It sucks though because we will be performing on dead floor as opposed to spring floor. This basically means that were competing on mats without springs underneath them which is a standard cheerleading floor and it takes alot more out of you. It'll be okay though. The only thing I'm worried about is our new cheer. Today, we revamped our cheer to make it harder and more appealing to the eye. In the middle there is a stunt that I'm involved in with a girl who is not used to being the flyer (person in the air) and so she's not as good as she necessarily could be. Because of this, we had to practice it a bunch of times and we still didn't get it to perfection by the end of practice and I can't even go to practice on Wednesday because we have a football game in Bettendorf. I'm not that utterly thrilled over having to drive a couple hours to a football game we may quite possibly lose for a team that has none the less not impressed me this entire season. It's hard to cheer on guys who don't have the guts or the spirit that they should. The sad thing is we could be good this year if we really set out to do so, but our heads are in the wrong place and we just can't improve. It's whatever, football cheerleading is almost over and then I'll have plenty of time on my hands, before basketball season cheerleading starts that is. But anyways, for this particular competition we get to straighten our hair and that is a definite delicacy for us because usually we have to curl it. The advantage and difference: straightening your hair takes less time (almost an hour difference) and it looks cleaner and better. Everybody on our team agrees it will be much easier and our coach said if it looks nice enough than we can start doing it that way for the rest of the season. YAAY! One thing about the competition is that it's at my boyfriends school so its basically a requirement that he comes! I'm pretty pumped you see were kind of a new couple and I'm really nervous about performing in front of him. Stupid I know but you can't blame a girl for wanting to impress. We also get awesome t shirts for this competition and we have the ice cream truck coming, along with a bouncy cage! Technically it's for the little kids, but the bigger ones definitely get a kick out of it too. So my feelings are pretty good about this competition. I'm a little nervous for the performance but the day should be pretty fun! Plus it's on Sunday so we get to miss out on a practice. YAHOO :)

No comments:

Post a Comment