Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thunderstorms!


I'm currently freaking out right about now, because there's a huge thunderstorm happening in Cedar Rapids at the moment. I've not only been listening to thunder booming for the past twenty minutes, seen lightning brighter than white, but listening to my sisters scream and my dog cry. You can tell I come from a family who HATES thunderstorms. It's natural for people to be scared of thunder, in fact it's one of the most common phobias the world knows (according to my AP Psychology book). And likewise for me, I dislike and in fact dread them alot. This dreadful day of doom started at precisely 10 AM this morning when I first realized it was raining hardcore outside. But that's after the fact that it was wet outside and smelled like worms, yuck! Anyways, the weather was all sorts of whack today. It was rainy and cold when I got out of bed this morning so I dressed for the occasion in a sweatshirt and jeans, but when I got out of school the sun was shining, it was probably 70 degrees, and I was sweating my booty off in just my tshirt and jeans. I went tanning, came home, did homework, got ready for cheer tryout clinics, and went. I got there, worked for about an hour and at 6:30 happened to peer outside to see the sky pitch black. I was a little bit freaked out, but I didn't allow myself to panic until I realized the other girls in the gym were panicing. What scared me the most was that once they dismissed us, and I was walking to my car, the sirens started going off. I can tell you I jumped a bit and my heart skipped a couple beats because I was outside during a siren. Sirens usually mean really bad storms are about to hit and therefore advise people to go inside to a safe shelter, not near windows. So being outside during one of these wasn't one of the most comforting thoughts in the world. Anyways, I ran to my car, blithering like the other people surrounding me, jumped in, and sped home. It was funny going down 42nd street, watching cars hit probably 60 miles an hour in a 35 mile hour zone, and even funnier that a cop was driving and not pulling anyone over for this because he too wanted to get home. So, I got home just in time for the sirens to stop and everyone in my household to return to a sense of normalcy. But, as I sat down to start doing my homework, I saw the bright lights followed by the rumbling and I immediately stiffened up a bit. I've been working hard at my homework for the last two hours, attempting to study and blog and what not, while my computer is located next to a central window in the house. The laptop and my seat have shaken a couple times, as well as the entire house. It seems to me when thunderstorms roll around, things get all out of whack. I can't concentrate. I can't sit still. I want it to all be over with, but the noises and the rumbling and the lights, it doesn't stop. Maybe that's why I hate thunderstorms: they're too powerful. Either way, I'm getting scareder and scareder by the moments I pass writing this blog and watching the storm through the window, so I'm going to sleep it all away, and when I wake up there will be beautiful rays of sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment